From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:29:03
1 Hi All,
2
3 I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different machines in
4 two different continents. One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
5 (Greece). In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections from my
6 laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out. This is ssh
7 connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+ or 12000+
8 ranges. If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous - up to
9 5 seconds! Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and then wait
10 for hours with no response. Eventually, I have to close the terminal.
11
12 Tracerouting does not get through although some clever tcptraceroute strings
13 may on occasions (intermittently) get through.
14
15 Both servers run on domestic networks. BTW, ssh-ing to servers in datacenters
16 with their big fiber-optic pipes, although relatively slow in peak times,
17 always gets through.
18
19 The strange thing is that there is no problem talking to these boxen while
20 they run Google-Talk, it's only the ssh connection that seems to suffer.
21
22 Have you come across such a problem before? How can I troubleshoot it? In
23 this day and age of broadband connections it seems strange to get worse
24 performance than on a dialup network . . . I mean I have run VNC connections
25 over a 56k dial up with more responsiveness than this!
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick