From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot shutdown or reboot because of logind disconnection
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 06:15:41
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:40:53AM +0800, johnstrass wrote
2
3 > Compiling gcc uses alot of memory, sometimes only less then 10MB
4 > left free ( I am doing this on a small yeeloong netbook with only
5 > 1GB memory).
6
7 Ouch, I'm surprised it compiles at all. The Gentoo install handbook
8 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#MAKEOPTS
9 has a dire warning about memory usage...
10
11 > Warning
12 > Using a large number of jobs can significantly impact memory
13 > consumption. A good recommendation is to have at least 2 GiB of RAM
14 > for every job specified (so, e.g. -j6 requires at least 12 GiB). To
15 > avoid running out of memory, lower the number of jobs to fit the
16 > available memory.
17
18 You simply don't have enough ram. You might reduce the pain and the
19 swapping by trying something like the following in make.conf (assuming
20 you haven't already done it)
21
22 MAKEOPTS="-j1"
23
24 > If this happens, what is the best way to reboot or shutdown?
25
26 Try ye olde {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL}
29 I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
30 frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
31 pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
32 those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.