From: "Mickaël Bucas" <mbucas@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Backing up emails
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:57:57
1 2011/1/20 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
2
3 > Hi guys,
4 >
5 > I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with
6 > an amazing
7 > answer in the end ;)
8 >
9 > I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away
10 > from it to
11 > something a little more customisable.
12 >
13 > The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on
14 > this
15 > server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but
16 > keeping in its
17 > current folder structure.
18 >
19 > I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick
20 > read) to
21 > support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting dreamhost
22 > support and
23 > asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me access to them via FTP
24 > or
25 > something.
26 >
27 > I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a
28 > copy of all
29 > his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it onto another
30 > machine.
31 >
32 > Grateful for any help,
33 >
34 > Matt Harrison
37 I use OfflineIMAP to backup my gmail account using IMAP.
38 https://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap
39
40 It's easy to configure and to use.
41 Folders are preserved as it keeps mail in maildir structure.
42
43 Mickaël Bucas