From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 18:03:42
1 >> >>>>> My laptop can't ping my remote system but it can ping others
2 >> >>>>> (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). I've tried disabling my firewall on
3 >> >>>>> both ends with '/etc/init.d/shorewall stop && shorewall clear'.
4 >> >>>>> Could my AT&T business ADSL connection on the remote system be
5 >> >>>>> blocking inbound pings?
6 >> >>>>
7 >> >>>> Possible, have you tried pinging your remote system from a different
8 >> >>>> location? You may try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
9 >> >>>
10 >> >>> Sorry, wrong link: http://ping.eu/ping/
11 >> >>
12 >> >> I get 100% packet loss when pinging from there.
13 >> >
14 >> > try an icmp traceroute, if you are lucky you'll get a result that tells
15 >> > you on which hop the pings cease to work:
16 >> >
17 >> > traceroute -I
18 >> >
19 >> > but do read the man page (traceroute is like ps in that there are many
20 >> > versions around and options don't always match up with what folk say on
21 >> > mailing lists)
22 >>
23 >> I did 'traceroute -w 30 -I ip-address' several times and the last IP
24 >> displayed is always the same. I looked it up and it's an AT&T IP
25 >> supposedly located about 1500 miles from my machine which is also on
26 >> an AT&T connection. Does this tell me anything?
27 >>
28 >> - Grant
29 >
30 > Out of interest, does it show the same with you use the -T option? It could
31 > well be a congested link. Try again in off peak times to see if it still
32 > drops packets. If it happens off peak it could well be a misconfigured node.
33
34 The last IP displayed is the same with the -T option. Off-peak at the
35 destination? I've actually been trying all day under those
36 conditions. You don't think it's likely to be the ICMP setting on the
37 server's modem/router?
38
39 - Grant