From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdev: sound is only working some of the time.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:50:41
1 On Mar 21, 2012 6:22 PM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, Pandu.
4 >
5 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 07:35:14AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
6 > > On Mar 21, 2012 5:36 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@×××.de> wrote:
7 >
8 > > > Hi, all.
9 >
10 > > > Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play
11 CDs
12 > > > (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
13 > > > when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
14 > > > www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.
15 >
16 > > > Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the
17 devices
18 > > > in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
19 > > > following as device nodes:
20 >
21 > > > adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.
22 >
23 > > > Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
24 > > > subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
25 > > > with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).
26 >
27 > > > Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!
30 > > That's indicative that it's the kernel doing the populating (that is,
31 > > everything belongs to root:root).
32 >
33 > No, it was just that one device belonging to root:root. This is
34 > mysterious indeed.
35 >
36 > > That means, mdev hasn't got the chance to 'restructure' the /dev
37 > > directory (that is, rename and/or move and/or chown devices).
38 >
39 > > Does 'mdev -s' exist in your /sbin/linuxrc? Can you post your linuxrc
40 > > here?
41 >
42 > mdev -s wasn't in my /sbin/linuxrc. It is now. It hasn't made any
43 > difference to that wayward device.
44 >
45 > As I said to Walt, I've solved the problem by turfing out pulseaudio.
48 Strange...
49
50 Do you use mdev to handle hotplugs, btw?
51
52 Rgds,