From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:29:38
1 >>>        Next I'd look at tuning your Mysql config. If you've never touched
2 >>> my.cnf, by default it's set to use 64MB IIRC. You may need to raise this
4 >>> get better performance. key_buffer and innodb_buffer_pool_size are the
5 >>> only
6 >>> two I'd modify without knowing more.
7 >>
8 >> I use the default MyISAM tables and it looks like there are three
9 >> key_buffer definitions in my.cnf.  One under [mysqld] is 16M, one
10 >> under [isamchk] is 20M, and one under [myisamchk] is 20M.  All
11 >> defaults.  Should I increase them all to 64M?
12 >
13 >        You can, but [mysqld] is the only one that matters for normal
14 > production. Depends on the size of your data and tables, but 64M is fine to
15 > start. If you've got a few GB in your databases I'd go with 256-512M or as
16 > high as you think you can get away with.
17 >
18 >        Any reason you're still using MyISAM tables? Innodb is almost as fast
19 > or much much faster than MyISAM in nearly every way these days.
20
21 Just because it's the default. I can imagine there's more to
22 switching than flipping a bit and I haven't gotten around to it yet.
23 I've been meaning to do it.
24
25 - Grant