From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:55:06
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:43:38 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > <SNIP>
7 > >> I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it
8 > >> doesn't work like it should for me, there's no point in me using
9 > >> it. If I wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying
10 > >> M$'s crap. Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty
11 > >> crappy. LOL
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > What? Me worry?
15 > >
16 > > Chill Dale. The Gentoo devs will get it there.
17 > >
18 > > And what will you do if Ubuntu doesn't boot? Learn another distro?
19 > > Nahh... ;-)
20 > >
21 > > - Mark
26 > That's why I want something that I can install fast. Gentoo certainly
27 > isn't the right choice for that. If Kubuntu fails, I can just
28 > reinstall and not format /home. It doesn't take to long and I'll be
29 > back up and running. I already keep a fairly up to date sysrescue so
30 > having something for some other distro wouldn't be a huge issue.
31
32 See this mountain peak you think you see in front of you? The one you
33 call Everest?
34
35 You got it wrong about that mountain Dale. It's a little mole hill in
36 the back yard.
37
38 Make / big enough to contain /usr as well. Move stuff over and delete
39 the /usr partition.
40
41 Everything you fear about udev instantly ceases to exist and is no
42 longer a problem. Sorted.
49 > Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have
50 > no idea how to fix it. None at all. I know the basics of what it
51 > does but no idea how to fix it when it breaks. That's where I am now
52 > with regard to my other post. I can't su to root when using the init
53 > thingy but can when I don't use the init thingy. I have no clue
54 > where to even start to fix it. Is it dracut itself? Is it some
55 > script? Is it some option I gave it that conflicts with something
56 > else? I have absolutely no idea why but I know it has something to
57 > do with me using the init thingy since it works fine without it.
58 >
59 > Me clueless since this is something I tried to avoid in the past and
60 > not sure why it is needed now either.
61 >
62 > More questions than answers for sure.
63 >
64 > Dale
65 >
72 Alan McKinnnon