From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - Question about kernels and kernel patches
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:28:52
1 I own a copy of Win4Lin 5.0 for Windows 9x. I'd like to use it, but the
2 problem is that the newest patch for SMP kernels that they offer is
3 2.6.11. I'm running 2.6.18-gentoo-r6 . I like the newer kernels
4 because ivtv drivers that work with them are in portage, and I'm not
5 sure drivers that work with 2.6.11 are still in portage. Not to mention
6 I like not having to worry about alsa-driver (in the 2.6.18 kernel,
7 kernel support for my sound card works; it didn't prior to 2.6.18.) I
8 have the kernel source tarball for the 2.6.11 kernel, and I have the
9 patches for Win4Lin for that kernel. Is it possible for me to unpack
10 the kernel source, apply the Win4Lin patches, and then patch that kernel
11 all the way up to 2.6.18?
14 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list