From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:31:34
1 On 07/11/2011 02:30 PM, Dale wrote:
2 >> =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.99.99 or something to that effect.
3 >> I just can't recall how to do it at the moment but each time I do a
4 >> emerge -uvDNa world, it wants to upgrade the nvidia drivers to the
5 >> 275 series or something.
6
7 I've had the same problem many times -- and so far it's always been my
8 bad typing skills :)
9
10 I have exactly the same needs on my old machine, and here's what I have:
11
12 #grep nvidia /etc/portage/package.mask
13 >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.80
14 <=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.27 (can't remember why I did this)
15
16 In my experience the disadvantage of using the older drivers is that
17 nVidia is slow to fix build breakage introduced by Linus et al.
18
19 I test Linus's daily kernel updates (because I like pain, that's why)
20 and I've had to fudge all kinds of stuff to get the 173.x.x drivers
21 to build against the new kernel headers. You'd think I could find
22 something better to do with my time -- but no...