From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:51:17
1 On Wed, March 23, 2011 5:43 pm, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 March 2011 14:04:23 Mr. Jarry wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 >>
5 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > And if you don't care about barriers, jfs might be a good choice.
7 >>
8 >> Knowing nothing about "barriers" I tried to find some info and
9 >> came accross this article:
10 >>
11 >> http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/Deciding-when-to-use-Linux-f
12 >> ile-system-barriers
13 >>
14 >> It says, barriers can not work with device mapper (raid, lvm).
15 >> If it is true (?) then because of having all partitions in raid1 (md),
16 >> I need not worry about barriers. Whatever filesystem I picked out,
17 >> I could not use barriers...
18 >>
19 >> Jarry
20 >
21 > md raid devices can do barriers. Don't know about lvm. But lvm is such a
22 > can
23 > of worms I am surprised people still recommend it.
24
25 What is wrong with LVM?
26 I've been using it successfully without any issues for years now.
27 It does what it says on the box.
30 Joost