From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is it possible to move from hardened profile?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:37:34
1 On 2012-01-14 5:25 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/14/2012 04:56 PM, walt wrote:
3 >> On 01/14/2012 01:05 PM, czernitko wrote:
4 >>> Hello, I wonder whether it is possible to convert hardened desktop
5 >>> box into box with non-hardened profile? I guess I would have to
6 >>> recompile world with vanilla compiler (no hardening) and compile
7 >>> gentoo-sources kernel (no prob with those), but how can I get clean,
8 >>> non-hardened profile for portage (if it is even possible)?
9 >>
10 >> Short answer: I have no idea :) But I'd like to ask why you want to
11 >> dump the hardened profile. Is there a significant disadvantage to
12 >> the hardening? I've been wanting for awhile to try hardening but I'm
13 >> basically to lazy to Just Do It(TM).
14
15 > Virtualization is iffy if you're not careful which options you enable in
16 > the kernel.
17
18 I've been meaning to as a similar (but reverse) question - which I'll do
19 in a separate thread later, but...
20
21 Your reference to 'virtualizationis iffy' above... do you mean if you
22 are going to run VMs on a hardened HOST? Or run a hardened machine as a
23 VM? I had a problem trying to switch my Linode VM to the hardened
24 profile, and ended up giving up on it...