From: Hani Duwaik <kiawud@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package masking question
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:02:43
1 On 6/27/06, Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I'm curious if there is a way to conditionally package mask.
6 > Let me give todays example.
7 >
8 > Running ~x86.
9 >
10 > gimp-2.3.9 is installed.
11 >
12 > gimp-perl-2.2_pre1 has this RDEPEND =media-gfx/gimp-2.2*
13 >
14 > So naturally wants to downgrade gimp to 2.2.11-r1.
15 >
16 > What would be nice is to be able to mask:
17 >
18 > >=gimp-2.3 if =gimp-perl-2.2_pre1
19 >
20 > That would then downgrade gimp to 2.2 and leave it there
21 > until the next version of gimp-perl is available.
22 >
23 > As it is, all I can see to do to prevent upgrade/downgrade
24 > cycling of gimp is to package mask >=gimp-2.3 and hopefully
25 > remember to unmask it when the next release of gimp-perl
26 > is available.
27 >
28 > It just feels like there ought to be a better way...
29 >
30 > Have you tried the suggestion outlined at:
31
32 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3
33
34 =======================
35
36 The package.mask file
37
38 When you don't want Portage to take a certain package or a specific version
39 of a package into account you can mask it yourself by adding an appropriate
40 line to /etc/portage/package.mask.
41
42 For instance, if you don't want Portage to install newer kernel sources than
43 gentoo-sources-2.6.8.1, you add the following line to package.mask:
44
45 Code Listing 5: /etc/portage/package.mask example
46
47 >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.8.1
48
50
51 Just wondering...
52
53 -Hani
56 "If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will
57 become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."