From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re[4]: Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 22:30:19
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 1:51 AM Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > I ask because prior to the GitHub incident, I didn't have signature
6 >> > verification enabled
7 >>
8 >> Currently, it is not practical to change this, see my other posting.
9 >
10 > You clearly don't understand what it actually checks.
11
12 Davyd and I were obviously speaking about the gentoo repository
13 (the official one and the one on github which got hacked).
14 For these repositories verification is practically not possible.
15 (That there are also *other* repositories - with huge metadata history -
16 which might be easier to verify is a different story).
17
18 Perversely, the official comments after the hack had
19 suggested that you should have enabled signature verification for
20 the hacked repository which was simply practically not possible.