From: Konstantinos Agouros <elwood@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System cold crashing when too much memory is used?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:03:39
1 hi,
2
3 I am running a Xen host with gentoo sources 3.4.9. I've had issues
4 that the box cold reboots on me and suspected memory use. Today I
5 ran the following little perl script:
6
7 my $a = "a" x 1000;
8 $b = $a x 1000;
9
10 while(1)
11 {
12 $b .= $b;
13 }
14
15 2 Minutes about 2G swapped out (Dom0 has about 6GB of ram and lots of swap)
16 and boom cold boot. No panic message on the screen before.
17
18 Anybody has an idea what might be causing this?
19
20 During on of these episodes I ran memtest86 on the box without error.
21
22 CPU is an AMD Phenom 6core.
23
24 Regards,
25
26 Konstantin
29 Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@×××××××.de
30 Altersheimerstr. 1, 81545 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
32 "Captain, this ship will not survive the forming of the cosmos." B'Elana Torres