From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many GB for / partition?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:09:07
1 On 2/23/06, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
2 > This is never true. Swap is *always* called for, and for a good reason.
3
4 No, it isn't. For my single-user laptop with 2G of RAM, I actually
5 prefer that the OOM kill any runaway process that is gobbling up RAM.
6 My laptop disk (even at 7200rpm) is too damn slow for swap to be at
7 all useful. The system _will_ be dead until swap is exhausted and the
8 OOM kicks in anyway. The only reason I have a swap partition at all
9 is for suspend2 hibernation.
10
11 > Your example of having a real-time responsive app requiring memory
12 > residence is a determining factor of how much physical memory you'll
13 > need to keep the app resident.
14 >
15 > But the truth of the matter is this will not be your only app running on
16 > the system. Throw some big memory hogs into play, i.e. an active X
17 > session running locally and that remote X session you've started from
18 > work, and pretty soon you can find yourself eating up that 1gb that you
19 > thought would be fine.
20
21 No one would ever place a real-time responsive app on a desktop system.
22
23 -Richard
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list