From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:58:43
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > The law can!
4 > >
5 > > The GPL is in conflict with the law and therefore the parts you have in mind
6 > > are just void.
7 >
8 > Which law is the GPL in conflict with, and in which jurisdiction, and
9 > what is the extent of the conflict?
10
11 The GPL is in conflict with US Copyright law Section 17 Paragraph 106.
12 In Europe, the law on business conditions apply and allow the licensee to
13 chose his best interpretation in case of
14
15 > To the best of my knowledge, what you claim has not been tested in a
16 > court of law with jurisdiction, and is not a matter of law. Until that
17 > happens, it is an untested legal opinion and as we know, opinions can vary.
18
19 There is no need to test something so obvious in court.
20 A license is not allowed to redefine the definition of what a derivative work
21 is and the problem with the GPL only exists in case the GPL succeeds to redefine
22 the lawful definition of a drivative work.
23
24 > The kernel devs have their position, you have yours. In this case, the
25 > opinion of the kernel devs is the one that carries as they control what
26 > does and does not ship.
27
28 While I am quoting the papers from lawyers (Determann, Rosen, Gordon)
29 you are quoting laymen.
30
31 Note that Lothar Determan is professor of law at Freie Univerität Berlin _and_
32 the university of San Francisco.
36 > > BTW: I am still waiting for a legally acceptable explanation on why the GPL
37 > > should be compatible to the BSD license. Note that the BSD license is very
38 > > liberal, but it definitely does not permit to relicense code that was published
39 > > under the BSD license withour written permission of the Copyright holder.
40 >
41 > There is no requirement that the GPL should be compatible with the BSD
42 > license. The GPL only requires that derivative works comply with the
43 > terms of the GPL.
44
45 The GPL requires to relicense the whole work under the GPL and this is not
46 permitted for code under the BSD license.
49 > If BSD code is shipped with GPL code and the BSD code is the derivative
50 > work, the BSD license does not demand that the code be published.
51 > However, the GPL does so the entire codebase is published under the
52 > terms of the GPL. Thus the conditions of both licenses are satisfied,
53 > and no relicensing is involved.
54
55 If the Linux kernel uses the BSD code, it is the Linux kernel that has become
56 the derivative work.
57
58 Note that you cannot publishe the entire codebase under GPL as parts are under
59 BSD license already.
60
61 > > So is the problem just a social problem given the fact that Linux comes with
62 > > BSD licensed parts?
63 >
64 > I don't follow your reasoning here. How does the BSD license affect CDDL
65 > code in this case?
66
67 It demonstrates that the Linux kernel people do not really honor the GPL and I
68 see no difference between adding code under BSD compared to code under CDDL.
69 Both licenses do not allow relicensing without written permission of the
70 Copyright owner.
71
72 Jörg
75 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin