From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loss of performance...OpenGL?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:23:53
1 On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> [09-01-11 19:11]:
3 > > On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > But may be my experience is to old in this special case.
5 > > >
6 > > > By the way:
7 > > > xv is a lot of [CENSORED] with my NVIDIA card. I had a lot of trouble
8 > > > to find a way to regulate brightness and such on a per application
9 > > > basis. The only way I found (which by no means is to be read as
10 > > > "there is no other way than..." ;) was to switch the xine
11 > > > video interface of kaffeine from xv to xshm.
12 > > >
13 > > > May be there is another chance in this corner of the problem to improve
14 > > > all this?
15 > > >
16 > > > Suggestions are welcome :)
17 > > > Very welcome.... :O)
18 > >
19 > > well xshm does create a lot of load, there is not much you can do about
20 > > it. You could try other ways like sdl, ogl or xvmc. But why not just use
21 > > xv? It works well with tvtime - and you can change the brightness or
22 > > contrast - on a per channel basis. Hmpf, tvtime will not work.. so
23 > > kaffeine it is. ....
24 >
25 > ehhh...sorry...I didnt understand. It seems to me that the first part
26 > of your mail states, that xv (which is a problem for nvidia cards like
27 > mine as much as I can say and nof the apllikation ... ) will work with
28 > tvtime and the second part states the opposite...
29 >
30 > help me please, I am older than 20... ;)
31
32 my first point is that tvtime is a nice tv application, that uses xv.
33 my second is that tvtime does not work with dvb-t adapters that sent a mpeg2
34 stream to the tv application - which most dvb-t adapters do.
35
36 if you think your load is too high, try opengl, sdl, xvmc as 'video driver'
37 instead of xshm.