From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 00:36:38
1 On 8/28/20 3:54 PM, Poison BL. wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
3 > <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> hi. context:
6 >>
7 >> 1. tinfoil hat is on.
8 >> 2. i feel disrespected when someone does things to
9 >> my stuff without getting my approval.
10 >> 3. vps admin is not trusty and their sys admin may
11 >> read my emails, and laugh at me!
12 >> 4. whole thing is not worth much money. so not
13 >> welling to pay more than the price of a cheap
14 >> vps. moving to dedicated hardware for me is
15 >> not worth it. my goal is to make it annoying
16 >> enough that cheap-vps's admins find it a bad
17 >> idea for them to allocate their time to mingle
18 >> with my stuff.
19 >>
20 >> thoughts on how to maximally satisfy these
21 >> requirements?
22 >>
23 >> rgrds,
24 >> cm.
27 > I'm rather late to the game with this, but at the end of the day, mail
28 > coming *into* a mail server isn't typically encrypted (and even that
29 > is only the body, the headers can still reveal a great deal, and are
30 > necessary for the server to work with it). A packet dump at the switch
31 > will turn over every piece of mail you receive along the way. Email's
32 > not designed for end to end security by default. Secondly, any hosting
33 > on hardware you don't control is impossible to fully secure, if the
34 > services on that end have to operate on the data at all. You can
35 > encrypt the drive, encrypt the mail stores themselves, etc, but all of
36 > those things will result in the encryption key being loaded into ram
37 > while the VPS is running, and dumping ram from the hypervisor layer
38 > destroys every illusion of security you had. Dedicated hardware in a
39 > locked cabinet is as close as you get to preventing physical attacks
40 > when you're hosting in someone else's DC, and that's not nearly in the
41 > same market segment, price-wise, as a cheap VPS. At best, if you have
42 > sensitive email that you're sending or receiving, work with the other
43 > end of the communication and then encrypt the contents properly. Even
44 > better, go with a larger scale, paid, solution in which your email
45 > isn't even remotely worth the effort to tamper with for the hosting
46 > company's employees, and hope the contractual obligations are
47 > sufficient to protect you. If you have any sort of controlled data
48 > going in and out of your email, step up to a plan that adheres to the
49 > regulatory frameworks you're required to adhere to and make very sure
50 > the contracts for it obligate the vendor to secure things properly on
51 > their end (aws, azure/o365/etc mostly all have offerings for, at
52 > least, US Gov level requirements).
55 Hmmmmm. How about paying for codes the US F. Feds do not have, like Real
56 Random. Supposedly, they are legally pissing of the F. Feds. Do your own
57 evaluation. A US corp in good standing the F. Feds do not want anyone to
58 know. About. Why? For the F. Feds to challenge what they do, they have
59 to PUBLICLY disclose their p. p.
60
61 https://www.realrandom.co/wp/
62
63 yes it's commercial. But for Gentoo, I'd push for a deep discount. They
64 have totally awesome technology, and I know a sales guy there. Any
65 solution, should have open source codes, and options for non-publish
66 commercial codes. Are there back doors? Dunno. Ask. Make your own
67 decision. But rumors are the F. Feds are pissed at these guys, cause
68 they have real technology solutions right now. Not bullshit-AI jibberish.
71 Sure, by executive order Trump could single action them out of
72 existence, but rumor has it, he has already decided NO, on that pathway.
73 My postulate is US Citizens, in good legal standing, with NO felony
74 convictions, have superior rights to privacy, than the F. Feds. It's
75 constitutionally bake in by our for fathers. We just need to stand up
76 and demand this. F. these scumbag lawyers, judges and corrupt (sold out)
77 politicians.
78
79 The rest of the work is on their own. But, if we organize and stand up,
80 we can put this 'demon' back into the darkness (abyss). I have no fear
81 of the F. Feds. Others would be wise to self examine, before joining up
82 with such an effort.
86 James Horton, pe