From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Identifying missing modules...
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 03:27:24
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [11-01-24 04:05]:
2 > On 01/23/2011 10:08 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >
4 > >Hi,
5 >
6 > >My question is: How can I distinguish devices/entities,
7 > >which do not need any driver to work and those, which
8 > >need a driver but in the current setup the driver wasn't
9 > >compiled in/compiled as module?
10 >
11 > Well, this is quick and dirty and you won't learn much about
12 > kernel modules, but it will most likely work very easily.
13 >
14 > Get the latest gentoo installation CD (it really can be any
15 > linux install CD as long as it's recent) and boot it in the
16 > machine you're having trouble with.
17 >
18 > The reasoning is the install CD will already have *every*
19 > driver available, and the kernel will load the drivers it
20 > needs for your particular machine.
21 >
22 > So, once the CD is booted, just figure out how to get a
23 > console going and type lsmod. Write down anything that
24 > looks related to sound, and build your own kernel with
25 > those drivers enabled.
29 Is the CD equipped with a linux 2.6.37.* kernel?
30
31 Best regards,
32 mcc