From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev.rules: Two "removeable" SATA-hds...how to map to /dev ???
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:53:53
1 On Friday 4 August 2006 06:14, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2
3 > But: How can I distinguish both harddiscs?
4
5 On one of my system, I run a raid 1 array with two identical disks (hde
6 and hdg), and I have this (sorry for the line wraps):
7
8 [Fri Aug 04 11:38:50 root@bach ~]# ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/
9 [cut]
10 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 20 10:50
11 ata-Maxtor_6Y080L0_Y2CG9M5E -> ../../hde
12 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 20 10:50
13 ata-Maxtor_6Y080L0_Y3J1HW3E -> ../../hdg
14
15 Those device names DO include the disk's serial number, and are (I
16 suppose) created by udev. So, just plug in each of your identical drives
17 and look at the devices which udev creates. Once you identify the exact
18 names (probably under /dev/disk/by-id), use those names to distinguish
19 between the drives wherever you need to.
20
21 The strange thing is that udev obviously knows the serial number of each
22 drive (udevinfo -q all -n /dev/sda *DOES* show the device's serial
23 number), but it seems that no file under /sys contains this information
24 (for hard disks, at least), so it looks like it's not possible to use a
25 regular udev rule to create different devices (but, as I said above,
26 seems that udev is somehow able to do that by itself - if somebody has
27 more info please tell). I could probably be missing something here.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list