From: "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [systemd vs consolekit] packagekit-base
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 07:29:25
1 On 25 July 2013 22:31, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu> wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4
5 [snip]
6
7 > Unity is in the tree? Where?
8
9 In the unity-gentoo overlay. At the moment the overlay packages are
10 clashing the already unmasked gnome-3.8. It requires a little job to
11 manage it.
12
13 > The ebuild for packagekit-base has a hard dependency on consolekit,
14 > without an option for systemd. This is because the last version of
15 > PackageKit in the tree is 0.7.4, which is more than a year older (was
16 > released in April 2012).
17 >
18 > If you use Unity, the DE by Canonical for Ubuntu, the last thing you
19 > want is systemd. Canonical/Ubuntu is pretty clear on the fact that
20 > they support Upstart, not systemd.
21
22 I did not know that. Based on that gnome wants systemd and unity uses
23 gnome stuff I thought that there is a strong relation between them.
24
25 > And lastly, why do you want/need PackageKit? It worked horribly with
26 > portage, last time I tried some years ago.
27
28 Gnome wants that and I do not know why. Maybe I did not pay enough
29 attention for the USE flag which pulls in it. It requires an action -
30 just being agile for a moment not having the first coffee today. :S
31
32 > If you use GNOME you need to use systemd. Unity is a completely
33 > different beast (although it uses the same technologies behind the
34 > curtains), and systemd would be blocked by some Unity stuff, if I
35 > understand correctly.
36
37 I switched back to consolekit to avoid the possible collisions. The
38 first thing I want is the Unity system working properly. After that
39 I'm going to ask the guys who manages the unity overlay about
40 consolekit/systemd stuff.
43 -- Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando) -- http://sayusi.hu --
44 http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
45 -- ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell