From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: scanner supported
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 17:58:57
1 Philip Webb <purslow <at> ca.inter.net> writes:
4 > > Philip Webb wrote:
5 > >> I recently bought an HP 2510 printer-copier-scanner.
6 > >> It prints & copies, but Xsane can't find it as a scanner.
7 > >> I suspect the problem is that Sane-backends doesn't support it :
8 > >> how do I find out whether that is the case ?
9
10 Sane, hplip and cups, sometimes work together well and sometimes
11 don't even thou devices may be "supported". Testing is the answer.
12
13 It stubborn cases, I've found it easier to take a singular device,
14 and set it up as if it were multiple devices. For example I had
15 one hp printer that when swithcing between color and bw the software
16 (driver, api?) would get confused and hang the software (driver).
17 So I just set it up as 2 different printers, one bw and one color.
18 Easy, and no issues.
19
20 > Does anyone have any further comments or suggestions ?
21
22 Using the internal functions, such as settting the IP address, wireless,
23 routes, dns, folders etc etc on a printer is a security concern that needs
24 vetting, imho. There are very few wireless interfaces that the NSA has not
25 forced the hardware manufactures to add "backdoors" into. Wireless sniffing,
26 what the NSA refers to as "signal intercept", has long been
27 the bread and butter of the NSA, since marconi did his thing.
28 Amatures can easily comprimise most wireless interfaces, so caveat emptor!.
31 Some only set the usb or ip address on a printer and never the wireless,
32 routes or other embedded OS features, as a baseline to establish security.
33 Note, the wireless interfaces can be activated remotely, despite what
34 you set, so isolate most modern printers. Adding those (printer) embedded
35 OS feature-sets, makes it so a rank_amature can comprise your
36 devices, if you are not very careful. Unlike mrsnow, I have no
37 problem with the NSA; but, I think folks should be "aware" (educated?) and
38 make logical decisions based on their security model.
41 hth,
42 merry Christmas,
43 James