From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: Help - system reboots while compiling)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:15:45
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 >> <troll>
3 >> ZFS?
4 >> </troll>
5 >
6 > You say troll, I say possibility; I'll certainly consider it.
7
8 Actually, I would be very interested in using ZFS for my data.
9
10 The "troll" was more about the fact that the ZFS license was explicitly
11 designed to be GPL-2 incompatible, hence preventing it from being
12 included into Linux (it would require a clean-room rewrite from the specs).
13
14 > However, the demos that I've seen about ZFS stress how easy it is to
15 > administer, and all the LVM-style features it has. Personally,
16 > I've /very/ comfortable with LVM and am of the opinion that such features
17 > don't actually belong at the "filesystem" layer.
18
19 I haven't made the step to LVM and am still using a plain old RAID-1
20 mirror. I'm not that comfortable adding one more layer to the data path,
21 and one more difficulty in case of hard disk failure.
22
23 > I need to good general purpose filesystem, what matters most to be is:
24 > 1) Online growing of the filesystem, with LVM I use this a lot, I won't
25 > consider a filesystem I can't grow while it is in active use.
26 > 2) Journaling or other techniques (FFS from the *BSD world does something
27 > they don't like to call journaling) that reduce the frequency of full
28 > fscks.
29 > 3) All-round performance, and I don't mind it using extra CPU time or
30 > memory to make filesystem performance better, I have both to spare.
31 > 4) Storage savings (like tail packing or transparent compression)
32
33 I completely agree with 1) and 2), and 3) and 4) are nice to haves. What
34 I like in ZFS is the data integrity check, i.e. every block gets a
35 checksum, and it can auto-repair in a RAID-Z configuration, something
36 that RAID-1 cannot.
37
38 So I would add:
39 5) Reliable data integrity checks and self-healing capability.
40
41 -- Remy