From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: oder of files opened by a process
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 19:39:43
1 On 2010-10-01, Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>
3 >>>> You're running Gentoo Windows?
4 >>>
5 >>> Yes I do.
6 >>
7 >> Someone is confused. ?I'm not sure who tho. ?:/
10 > I run Gentoo on the Cygwin layer on Vista to be precise. There is no
11 > Linux kernel.
12
13 Wow. I never realized that could be done. Tres geek points for ya.
14
15 I think our ignorance is understandable when the first paragraph at
16 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml states quite plainly that:
17
18 What is Gentoo?
19
20 Gentoo is a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD
21 that ...
22
23 > Others run Gentoo on BSD, on Interix or Irix, where there is no Linux
24 > kernel.
25
26 Linux and BSD et al. are pretty much just "Unix" (trademark and IP
27 arguments aside).
28
29 > I have a build script that needs 12 hours to compile the system
30 > packages on Cygwin including the GCC compiler itself.
31
32 The mind wobbles...
33
34 I knew you could run all the underlying stuff (bash, python, gcc,
35 etc.) on Cygwin, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that it's
36 technically possible to run Gentoo. I'm still a bit surprised that
37 anybody actually does it. I've been using Cygwin for a lot of years,
38 so I'd be willing to bet that installing IA32-Linux-Gentoo on a
39 windows-hosted VM is probably easier (though of course not quite the
40 same thing).
43 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My pants just went to
44 at high school in the Carlsbad
45 gmail.com Caverns!!!