From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] burning HD mpeg4 to dvd
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:04:33
1 On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 04/17/09 15:03, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Does anybody have any links, instructions, information etc. on how to
7 >>> burn
8 >>> HD video MPEG4 to DVD?
9 >>> I want to be able to play HD on TV and I don't want to reduce the
10 >>> quality.
11 >>>
12 >>> Do I need Blue-Ray dvd recorder to be able to play HD recording? Can
13 >>> standard DVD play HD mpeg4 files? I have new camera that records HD
14 >>> (1920x1080) mpeg4 movies, most files are below 3GB; is there a way to
15 >>> burn
16 >>> them into standard DVD on Linux.
17 >>> I'm familiar with standard MPEG2 format and burning but not HD MPEG4..
18 >>
19 >> I confused when you say DVD if you mean DVD physical media or DVD format
20 >> video.
21 >>
22 >> If you want to convert to a normal DVD format there are plenty of
23 >> tools for that. My favorite is tovid.
24 >>
25 >> f you want to burn Blu-Ray data files into DVD media, I guess just
26 >> build the Blu-Ray image and burn it. Same way you can burn DVD images
27 >> to CD if they are small enough. I have no idea if that'll work, but
28 >> that's what I would try. (I've never seen a Blu-Ray disc before so i
29 >> have no idea...)
30 >
31 > I had in mind DVD physical media. I want to retain the HD format quality. Do
32 > you mean burning standard .mpg4 file into DVD? That is what I wanted to try
33 > but I doubt standard DVD will play it, and if it will what resolution will
34 > it be in?
35 >
36 > Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
37
38 Well if you just want to play it on the computer then the format
39 doesn't matter (as long as the mplayer or whatever you use can play
40 it). It's just a data disc.
41
42 If you want to watch it on an actual Blu-Ray player then it'll need to
43 be authored and mastered in the apporpriate way. I think they are
44 *.EVO files in some special directory structure (similar to DVD
45 video). Also, they use UDF 2.5 for the filesystem.
46
47 Blu-Ray has lots of DRM and commercial licensing requirements to make
48 a player, so legality is questionable :)