From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean and fftw
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:05:34
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 >
3 > I somehow get the feeling you haven't quite understood what I have said. So
4 > I'll try again. media-libs/libsamplerate only depends on sci-libs/fftw if you
5 > have the fftw use flag enabled.
6 >
7 > # emerge -vp1 libsamplerate
8 > [...]
9 > [ebuild R ] media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.2 USE="-fftw -sndfile" 0 kB
10 >
11 > I.e. if you have no "-" in front of fftw then it needs fftw. Further what I
12 > have said is that `equery depends` ignores that condition. So you have three
13 > other alternatives for `equery depends` which will be able to show reverse
14 > dependencies. I've already mentioned two. The third is adjutrix from
15 > sys-apps/paludis (version 0.8.2 would be necessary there). pquery or dep does
16 > seem more suited for this task though since they both take your use flags
17 > into consideration whereas adjutrix will show something like:
18 >
19 > # adjutrix -D /var/db/pkg -r fftw
20 > Reverse dependencies for 'sci-libs/fftw':
21 > media-libs/libsamplerate-0.1.2 DEPEND on one of:
22 > sci-libs/fftw-3.0.1-r2::installed (condition USE='fftw')
23 > [...]
24 >
25 > and leave it up to you to check whether the USE='fftw' condition is true.
26 >
27 > Finally I would like to say that whether you want to use testing software is
28 > your own decision. But it certainly does do a better job than equery for
29 > reverse dependencies. That's true no matter which of the three mentioned
30 > alternatives you would choose. And I wouldn't suggest them if I thought they
31 > would set you computer on fire...
34 Ahhh, I see now what you are saying. Default is to use fftw unless I
35 turn it off. Gotcha now. I did see what you were saying about equery
36 depends though. It sort of makes assumptions on USE whether they are
37 true or not. I am disabled and I hurt a lot so sometimes it takes me a
38 while to get my light bulb to turn on. ;-)
39
40 I do use some testing stuff, like KDE and some other things that won't
41 make me bork up to much. I do try to be very careful though when it
42 comes to things like python, gcc and those critical things. I messed up
43 my system once and had to install from scratch and I learned to be
44 careful. Gentoo is a bit harder to install and takes longer too than
45 say Mandriva. I knew they wouldn't set my system on fire but I always
46 ask first before I do anything I may regret. I'm also on dial-up so I
47 prefer not to have to download ALL the source stuff again either.
48
49 I see what you are saying and have learned a lot. Thanks for the help.
50
51 Dale
52