From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A question regarding building Gentoo and UEFI vs Non UEFI
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 04:51:47
1 Dear all,
2 In the past I had a non UEFI motherboard setup for my Gentoo machine.
3 The motherboard started failing so I took the opportunity to replace the
4 motherboard & CPU and also to buy a new SSD thingy to become the home of
5 my Gentoo install.
6
7 I'm currently running, on a day to day basis, the older hard disk, on
8 the new motherboard, but want to speed up the process of getting the new
9 SSD set up so I can swap over. Rather than booting into the SSD,
10 starting an emerge, and walking away, in other words, making my machine
11 useless for any number of hours, am I correct that there is no problem,
12 vis a vis, old hard disk built on non UEFI machine Vs new SSD built on
13 UEFI machine, of chrooting[1] from the old environment into new
14 environment and doing the building whilst I"m doing something productive
15 within the old environment?
16
17 I just have this little niggling doubt, probably baseless, in the back
18 of my mind that there maybe something that may cause a problem for the
19 newly built stuff due to it not being natively booted in UEFI or
20 something like that when it was built.
21
22 Anyone built their new machines like this who can allay my, probably
23 baseless, fears?
24
25 Thanks,
26 Andrew
29 [1] Just like in the "Installing the Gentoo base system" part of the
30 installation doco.