From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:35:18
1 On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:10 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > I hate these init thingys and will admit I know little about the
5 > things. I had a thought tho, could it be that the file system needed to
6 > read the init thingy isn't included somehow or in the kernel maybe? If
7 > it is pointing to the right place, sounds like it is to me, then it has
8 > to be a read problem I'd think.
11 All the uefi stuff is on a fat filesystem. I would think that something
12 that fundamental (and universally supported) is embedded in the bios. The
13 grub bootloader itself is on that fat filesystem, and it must have loaded
14 or else I wouldn’t have access to the grub edit facility. So I think I’m
15 ok on file system support.
20 > I haven't ever had to use the edit menu on grub2 that I remember. It
21 > might be worth mentioning that it may have tab completion. That would
22 > certainly remove a typo if it can complete the kernel or init thingys
23 > file name on its own. Just a thought.
26 Grub documentation says it does have tab completion. But the file names,
27 uuids, and other things prone to typos that I referenced are generated by
28 grub, so typos are unlikely to be an issue. And I’ve checked them
29 meticulously. They look ok.
32 > Going back under my desk now.
35 Maybe I’d be less frustrated by this new mobo if I did the same! ;)
36
37 John