From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LDAP: Slapd fails asking itself while startup
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:31:36
1 Hi,
2
3 I just set up LDAP authentication and it works fine.
4 However, when running the init script there comes up an
5 error that clutters up my syslog with a lot of useless error
6 messages.
7
8 @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.38 (Oct 18 2007 22:12:26) $ root@myhost:/var/tmp/portage/net-nds/openldap-2.3.38/work/openldap-2.3.38/servers/slapd
9 nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP server
10 nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1/: Can't contact LDAP server
11 nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fldapi_sock/: Can't contact LDAP server
12 ...
13 nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
14 WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm.
15 slapd starting
16
17 I found out that the Gentoo init script activates the
18 options "-u ldap -g ldap". Without them, the error messages
19 do not appear. Therefore I suppose the slapd daemon tries to
20 obtain passwd/shadow information for ldap via nss_ldap. At
21 least when I say "compat" in nsswitch.conf, the error
22 message doesn't appear as well.
23
24 The thing I really wonder about is that the lines in
25 nsswitch.conf say
26
27 passwd: files ldap
28 shadow: files ldap
29 group: files ldap
30
31 The files should be searched first. The "ldap" information
32 is present in all three of them. I even tried to chown the
33 shadow file to ldap but this didn't save me from
34 encountering the weird messages either.
35
36 Could someone enlighten me what is going on here, please?
37
38 Thanks in advance,
39
40 Bertram Scharpf