From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2021-08-24-eudev-retirement
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 21:59:48
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2021.10.05 15:32, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I have "eudev" installed but I think it will be obsolete as of
4 >> Jan.1/22 according to news: 2021-08-24-eudev-retirement
5 >>
6 >> Does converting from: sys-fs/eudev
7 >> to: sys-fs/udev
8 >>
9 >> is as simple as: emerge -C sys-fs/eudev
10 >> emerge sys-fs/udev
11 > Have you read the news item?  It's not quite that literal about what
12 > to do, but does imply that should work.  However, on 15 Sep there was
13 > a post on the gentoo-dev list with a link to
14 > https://github.com/eudev-project/eudev (see README.md) which says that
15 > there is a new team taking up maintenance of eudev, so it is not
16 > abandoned, and so it is not clear whether eudev will actually be
17 > dropped or not.
22 When I switched from udev to eudev, it was as simple as uninstalling
23 udev and installing eudev.  I'd think as you do the reverse would work
24 now as well but as you point out, it may not.  I'd recommend going to a
25 console to do this and logging out of any GUIs as well.  Of course
26 restarting udev afterwards as well.
27
28 I also saw the post about new maintainers.  I'm hopeful that it will
29 keep being maintained even tho it can be a headache for devs at times.
30 Thing is, I've read a lot of distros use eudev and avoid the systemd
31 version as much as possible, even tho eudev still has the same code from
32 my understanding.  Still, I'd rather stick with what works for me.
33
34 Maybe we will know pretty soon what the status of this will be.
35
36 Dale
37