From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] boot messages; vga; vesa; HDTV monitor
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:58:09
1 A few years back I installed gentoo and everything worked fine, except
2 that the OS bootup messages were too "big", and scrolled by too fast.
3
4 Somewhere I found a tweak (IIRC, it involved recompiling the kernel)
5 that handled it fine - i.e. the font was reduced dramatically after the
6 bios was booted, right at the beginning of the OS booting.
10 Today I replaced my monitor with an HDTV monitor which works fine during
11 the bios boot; works fine after X is booted; but is "shakey" and
12 unreliable during the OS boot.
13
14 I have worked around these symptoms by adding vga=ask to lilo.conf, and
15 then telling it to use vga.
16
17 Questions:
18
19 1. Anyone aware of a wiki or other gentoo "help" that describes how to
20 change the boot message "size" during boot? It is possible that I simply
21 added a framebuffer, but it seems that I changed some config. somewhere
22 as well.
23
24 2. Anyone have a workaround for using a new HDTV monitor with an older
25 ATI graphics card?
28 TIA