From: Mick <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Unable to locate mail
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:16:55
1 Christopher Cowart wrote:
2
3 > If a cron generates any output while it's running, it tries to email it
4 > to root@localhost.
5
6 Thanks Chris, I never understood this root@localhost (probably because I
7 have inadequate knowledge of many matters relating to mail within an OS).
8 Where is root@localhost, where is mail for root@localhost stored, how is it
9 meant to be retrieved?
10
11 > ssmtp is your default MTA, and it's default configuration points to the
12 > host mail, at port 25. As mail doesn't resolve to any mail server,
13 > that's the sSMTP error you're seeing.
14
15 Is this meant to be a real (external) mail server e.g. smtp.my_isp.com, or
16 is there a Linux OS setup I can use internally without mail leaving the
17 box?
18
19 > You could also configure sSMTP to have a reverse alias, so that when it
20 > tries to e-mail root, it'll e-mail you@×××××××.com. This would involve
21 > also changing sSMTP to be aware of your ISP's mail hub.
22 . . . as in my ISP's smtp server?
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick