From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland - too early to try?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:52:59
1 On Tuesday 11 Jul 2017 09:02:59 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Rasmus Thomsen
3 >
4 > <Rasmus.thomsen@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I use GNOME with Wayland for some time and I actually didn't notice that I
6 > > switched until I tried to get synergy working ( mouse sharing software,
7 > > which only works on X ), seems like GDM automatically chose Wayland since
8 > > some upgrade. XWayland works pretty seamlessly as well, so I'll just stay
9 > > with Wayland for now, but it might be more annoying to use it with other
10 > > DEs/WMs.
11 > > However, I have less screen tearing with fullscreen applications with
12 > > Wayland than I had with X ( with radeon + mesa ).
13 >
14 > My sense is that this is probably what people would see. It will
15 > probably work fine for any of the major DEs, but you'll find these
16 > little cases of tools that aren't ported. One BIG area that will be
17 > affected is X11 forwarding. I'm not sure if that works over ssh or
18 > not with wayland, but wayland in general doesn't support network
19 > sockets.
20
21 Thank you both. I don't forward this desktop, although I connect with RDP to
22 various Vbox desktops, I take it these won't be affected.
23
24 I'll give it a spin and see how it goes.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick