From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tablet
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 21:55:26
1 On 30/05/16 20:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 May 2016 14:46:02 +0300, Thanasis wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 05/28/2016 09:03 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>> I was just about to spring for a mid range MS surface pro 4 tablet
6 >>> when I saw a few posts about hardware problems ... MS hardware is
7 >>> usually solid (in contrast to their software! :)
8 >>>
9 >>> Are there any other similar tablets out there that are gentoo/Linux
10 >>> friendly that are worth looking at?
11 >>>
12 >>> I have been using an old Samsung android tablet and google has just
13 >>> crossed the line and creeped me out past what I can tolerate so its
14 >>> time to move on :(
15 >>>
16 >>> BillK
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> Aquaris M10
20 >>
21 >> https://store.bq.com/gl/
22 >
23 > Have you actually run Gentoo on one of these?
27 Tried to do gentoo on android but was missing some essential settings in
28 the kernel available ... and its not the most powerful beast :) I did
29 eventually build a custom cyanogenmod but in the end decided that with a
30 failing battery, it wasn't worth it :(
31
32 The surface 4 is running gentoo but but I am running out of chickens
33 trying to get the bootloader going ... seems like grub cant see the NVMe
34 ssd the sp4 uses and rEFInd is being ... difficult :)
35
36 EFI is like bad magic ... doesn't really work! My last efi adventure
37 was an apple air some 4 years or more ago (which eventually worked) - it
38 hasn't progressed much in that time.
39
40 BillK