From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange partition on USB stick
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 06:55:00
1 On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 00:27:50 -0500
2 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 04:39:45 Adam Carter wrote:
7 > >> If the data is important, I'd use ddrescue to create an image of
8 > >> the drive, then run testdisk over that image to see if it can
9 > >> untangle the partition table mess. Both are in portage.
10 > >
11 > > Well, that's the thing:  I'm not sure that there is a mess.  At
12 > > least not as far as parted is concerned, which can read the
13 > > partition table properly.
14 > >
15 > > I suspect that fdisk (unlike parted) is not capable of reading the
16 > > device correctly.
17 > >
18 > > I forgot to say that when mounted the USB stick shows not
19 > > partitions (i.e. there is no sdb1, sdb2, etc.)  To access the fs I
20 > > must do something like:
21 > >
22 > > pmount /dev/sdb
23 > >
24 > > and then all is lists under /media/sdb.  It is like a big floppy.
25 >
26 > I think that's your answer. The "partition table" looks funny because
27 > it isn't one. :) It is somewhat common. I've had some myself that are
28 > like that.
31 I have a 4G Sandisk that does that too. It does everything a regular
32 USB stick does except a) create a proper partition table and b) be
33 booted from
36 Alan McKinnnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com