From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting size of /dev/shm or cleaning up ancient /etc/fstab
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 05:56:00
1 I'm running mdev, so that may be related. Here's my story... a script
2 I run to automatically process digital photos started blowing up on me.
3 After much bashing of head against brick wall, I determined that
4 /dev/shm now has an absolute max size of 10 megabytes! Any larger files
5 could not be written to it. Here's all the uncommented stuff in /etc/fstab
8 /dev/sda5 / ext2 noatime,nodiratime,async 0 1
9 /dev/sda7 /home reiserfs noatime,nodiratime,async,notail 0 1
10 /home/bindmounts/opt /opt auto bind 0 0
11 /home/bindmounts/var /var auto bind 0 0
12 /home/bindmounts/usr /usr auto bind 0 0
13 /home/bindmounts/tmp /tmp auto bind 0 0
14 /dev/sda6 none swap sw 0 0
15 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0 0
16 /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd auto noauto,users,ro 0 0
17 devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
18 none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,noatime,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
19
20 Meanwhile, my netbook, with the /dev/shm line commented out, runs just
21 fine and handles large files in /dev/shm. I followed the example at
22 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system
23 with slightly more paranoid settings, e.g. noexec. What gives?
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications