From: Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LTSP and firefox woes
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:02:16
1 > We have a number of old machines hanging diskless on a fairly nice LTSP box.
2 > So, this is a good server with a bunch of 6-7 machines using X remotely.
3 > No problem at all, everything working fine...
4 > ... that is, until one of them hangs.
5 > Certain old machines tend to hang a lot, and when they hang, their processes
6 > running
7 > on the server don't die, or at least don't die immediately.
8 > When they are rebooted and log on again, certain applications won't run,
9 > either
10 > complaining about lock files (OO.org), about another running instance of
11 > itself
12 > (firefox), or mibehaving because of existing files in /tmp (gnome with orbit
13 > files).
14 > There are other applications behaving like this.
15 > Anyone here using LTSP ever done any workaround to this? I thought about
16 > making
17 > a wrapper script to gdm so that when someone logs on, before starting
18 > anything at
19 > all (window manager et all), it would kill every running process on the
20 > server except
21 > itself, and only then pass control to the window manager.
22 > This is an ugly hack, I know, but I don't see a straightforward solution
23 > (apart from
24 > buying loads of new expensive machines). It seems to be a problem between X
25 > client
26 > and X server. In my opinion, the client windows should die if the
27 > corresponding X server
28 > is not there anymore, but that's not what happens.
31 Hey have you tried the LTSP mailing list. I had one or two problems
32 and they were able to give me a hand. Assuming you no one here is able
33 to help you.
37 "When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
38 stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for
39 free". - Linus Torvalds, 1995
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list