From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] attach a perl script to daemon services
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:08:17
1 On Saturday 27 February 2010 20:40:17 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > In the back of my mind there was a reason on opensolaris, that the
3 > script would fail if the fifo was empty... Then once data comes the
4 > script isn't listening. Or syslog won't write or something similar.
5 >
6 > I also have an opensolaris box that will be using this same script.
7 >
8 > I don't want to back up and relocate all that right now... Not sure I
9 > have it remembered right either, it seems just easier to have the
10 > script check before trying to start (for portability).
11 >
12 > Solaris syslog can write to named pipes but no so readily as linux
13 > syslog. Not sure of the details now.
14
15 The rest of your post seems adequately answered elsewhere.
16
17 FWIW, Solaris syslogd is like other basic tools on Solaris: standards
18 compliant in that it caters for the lowest common denominator that comprises
19 Unix. Which is to say, almost always useless for real work.
20
21 I tossed syslogd on Solaris long long ago and migrated everything to syslog-
22 ng. The nice thing about syslog-ng is that it actually *works*, and does so
23 predictably.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com