From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 02:58:26
1 >> So with KeepAlive on, the same apache2 process serves the page itself
2 >> and all associated files?
3 >
4 > That's my understanding, but i'm not sure if its what i've read over
5 > the years or just assumed.
6 >
7 > The way I think it worked is;
8 > - one apache process running as root, listening on port 80;
9 > - once a connection is made to port 80, the root apache process hands
10 > the connection off to a user apache process that handles all the
11 > action associated with that TCP connection.
12 > - so when using persistence, the same user apache process handles all
13 > the gets until it hits a client or user imposed limit, when the TCP
14 > connection is torn down and re-established.
15 >
16 > The tear down and re-establishment has a minor cpu cost both ends, and
17 > a latency cost, which is exacerbated by TCP slow start.
18
19 Assuming you have the concept right, if I have 'MaxClients 50' and
20 'MaxSpareServers 10', there should never be more than 60 apache2
21 processes running and I should be able to serve up to 50 simultaneous
22 TCP sessions?
23
24 Can anyone explain why I have 20 apache2 processes running moments
25 after an apache2 restart with 'MaxSpareServers 10' and without more
26 than 1 or 2 simultaneous TCP sessions?
27
28 - Grant