From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] equery depends ----> Invalid db entry:
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:35:29
1 On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:52:03 +0100
2 Marc Joliet wrote:
3
4 ..[snip]..
5
6 > Relevant snip from the manpage:
7 >
8 > depends <local-opts> pkgspec
9 > This command displays all dependencies matching pkgspec.
10 > <local-opts> is either or both of:
11 > -a, --all-packages search in all available packages
12 > (slow) -d, --direct search direct dependencies only (default)
13 > -D, --indirect search indirect dependencies (very slow)
14 > --depth=n Limit depth of indirect dependency tree to n
15 > levels. Setting --depth=0 is the same as not specifing --indirect.
16 >
17 > So "equery depends" expects a package name, not a file name. What
18 > exactly are you trying to do?
19 >
20 > --
21 > Marc Joliet
22
23 Hello Marc,
24
25 Right you are, I was using the wrong command.
26
27 If I recall, last night I wanted to find which package _provides_ a
28 given file. Obviously the file in my sample, i.e. /etc/init.d/samba,
29 is from net-fs/samba but the general question remains: How does one
30 find the package from which a file came?
31
32 Regards,
33
34 David