From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 06:56:31
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 110510 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> what's the results of the openrc update for people that have done theirs?
5 >>
6 > On amd64 here no problem, despite being half-asleep at the time.
7 > It worried at the 2nd line of Init msgs that I hadn't set rc_sys ,
8 > but that was fixed when I uncommented the default "" in /etc/rc.conf .
9 > It's still worrying at shut-down that /tmp is in use when unmounting,
10 > but re-assures itself that Fuser can't find any offending file.
11 >
12 > Boot time -- 'Enter' in Lilo to login prompt in raw terminal --
13 > has dropped c 25 -> 15 s , a very noticeable improvement;
14 > part of that is no delay now starting Eth0 (presumably C has replaced Bash).
18 I had noticed that my eth0 was slow to start but not always. I'm not
19 sure why it took so long but it did eventually come up. It's connected
20 by wire to a LinkSys router and most of the time, it comes up quickly
21 but on occasion, it decides to take a while.
22
23 That is a good speed improvement. I didn't notice much difference here
24 tho. Do you, or anyone else, have the parallel startup enabled? I
25 started to but noticed the warning in the config file. Goes like this:
26
27 "# WARNING: whilst we have improved parallel, it can still potentially lock
28 # the boot process. Don't file bugs about this unless you can supply
29 # patches that fix it without breaking other things!
30 #rc_parallel="NO""
31
32 Sort of curious if anyone uses it and have had theirs to lock up during
33 the boot up.
34
35 Dale
36