From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot has no space left.
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 09:37:58
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 01/07/2022 00:21, Dale wrote:
3 >> When I upgrade to a new kernel, I run for a month or so and then
4 >> manually clean out /boot, that would include kernel, init thingy,
5 >> System.map and config files.
6 >>
7 >> Seeing this reminds me it might be a good time to look into updating,
8 >> even tho I might not reboot for a while yet.
9 >
10 > When I update, I wait until I'm happy the new one seems okay, and then
11 > I just leave the most recent one and the one before.
12 >
13 > That said, I need to upgrade, and I need to see if my random hangs are
14 > fixed (there's apparently a bug in the Ryzen 3000, and I'm guessing
15 > that's what I'm hitting).
16 >
17 > Cheers,
18 > Wol
23 After my previous reply, I updated to a newer kernel.  It's in /boot but
24 it may be months before I reboot.  Anyway, I currently have four kernels
25 in /boot.  My current running kernel and two backup kernels plus the new
26 untested one.  Whenever I get around to rebooting and the new kernel
27 works fine, I'll remove the oldest one including sources etc.
28
29 I try to keep at least two backup kernels.  One reason I do that, the
30 init thingy.  I admit dracut is working well for me but given the
31 history I have with those thingys, I want extra protection.  The odds of
32 three boot options going bad are pretty slim and if it did happen, I
33 likely have a serious hard drive problem anyway, file system at the very
34 least.  Either way, I have a lot to worry about.
35
36 Maybe one of the suggestions mentioned here will help the OP.  It seems
37 he is letting the updater do the install or something and the kernel is
38 a fast moving target.  One has to have some way, automated or manual, to
39 clean up the unneeded bits.  I doubt most anyone makes their /boot to
40 large anyway.  Usually 300 or 400MBs is enough.
41
42 Dale
43