From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:58:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > You are assuming that smaller WMs don't need IPC. I believe that assumption to
4 > be false. If my belief is true, then your argument falls flat.
5
6 Guess what, there are even very small WMs that have an IPC, and a
7 very clear/portable/network-agnostic one: wmii uses 9P.
8
9 > By way of example: printing. By no stretch of the imagination can printing be
10 > considered to be a niche function. How will an arbitrary app find your
11 > printers? There are multiple print server around. So, you could:
12
13 lpr ?
14
15 If it's interface is not enough anymore, invent a new one.
16 Perhaps as a filesystem. 9P makes this *very* easy.
17
18 > Multimedia buttons. One of the most confounding things on modern hardware are
19 > multimedia buttons. Volume is easy - make it adjust the sound server.
20
21 man 1 plumb
24 cu
25 --
27 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
28
29 cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@×××××.de skype: nekrad666
31 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme