From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chkrootkit LKM trojan ?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:48:56
1 On Sunday 16 July 2006 22:25, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 July 2006 15:54, Dave S wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 16 July 2006 19:54, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 16 July 2006 20:25, Dave S wrote:
5 > > > > HI, I have a potential security problem ...
6 > > > >
7 > > > > and err its not on gentoo, its on ubuntu but I am not getting any
8 > > > > response there & you guys are the most tech bunch I know - Thought I
9 > > > > would lay it on the table :)
10 > > > >
11 > > > > I just had an email from chkrootkit last night -
12 > > > >
13 > > > > ---
14 > > > >
15 > > > > The following suspicious files and directories were found:
16 > > > >
17 > > > > You have 3 process hidden for readdir command
18 > > > > You have 3 process hidden for ps command
19 > > > > chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
20 > > > >
21 > > > > ---
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Running chkrootkit now and all is OK
24 > > > >
25 > > > > root@dave-comp:~#
26 > > > > root@dave-comp:~# chkrootkit | grep chkproc
27 > > > > Checking `lkm'... chkproc: nothing detected
28 > > > > root@dave-comp:~#
29 > > > >
30 > > > > I have even 'sudo install --reinstall chkrootkit' in case its binarys
31 > > > > have been modified (paranoid)
32 > > >
33 > > > if you installed using the tools of the system, it could be worthless,
34 > > > because compromised. Boot from a cd and check from the cd.
35 > >
36 > > I understand. Booted from knoppix 5.0.1, executed a
37 > >
38 > > 'chroot /mnt/hda1 chkrootkit' and a
39 > > 'chroot /mnt/hda1 rkhunter -c'
40 > >
41 > > - both scans brought back nothing. From what I have read the chkrootkit &
42 > > rkhunter binarys would have been from the CD and therefore untainted ? Am
43 > > I correct ?
44 > >
45 > > Are there any other checks I can do - re-installing the system is not my
46 > > preferred option :)
47 > >
48 > > Dave
49 >
50 > Hi Dave,
51 >
52 > Just went through the same scare with an OLD linux server a few weeks ago.
53 >
54 > This "could" be a false positive...
55 >
56 > What you should do is run chkrootkit with verbose option turned on. Take
57 > the pids it show you and compare them to what's listed in /proc.
58 >
59 > Each running process has a pid and it's listed under /proc. In each pid
60 > listed under proc there's a /exe link that gives you the path to the
61 > program owning the pid. There a /status file that will give you the name of
62 > the program. There's other info there also. If there's any discrepancies
63 > between what's list in /proc and what ps tells you, you've been infected
64 > with LKM for sure.
65 >
66 > Naturally, you have to be there when chkrootkit complains...
67
68 Thats the problem it was an automated email at midnight - all looks OK now -
69 apart from my paranoia that is ...
72 > But don't stop here...
73 >
74 > You can also try running rootkit-hunter and compare the output.
75
76 Done it - it reports clean
77 >
78 > You can cp known good tools (in your case, ps) from a backup to your
79 > infected box and run it to get "true" information.
80 >
81 > I knew a co-worker that ran "tree" across a suspected infected box and
82 > found a number of hidden directories on it. It was indeed infected.
83
84 I will look into it.
87 > Also, if this machine was running a firewall, look in the logs. If you've
88 > kept a running archive, hopefully spanning a week or two, you may be able
89 > to figure out when and where the attack came from.
90
91 Netgear firewall ADSL NAT, tea machine, router - I will have a look in the
92 logs for anything suspicious - good idea.
95 > Hope that helps.
96 >
97 > Jerry
98