From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Developmnet Environment for PHP and PERL
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:15:42
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 10:33 -0800, Michael Shaw wrote:
4 > What editor do people use for PHP and Perl development. I'm looking for
5 > something with syntax highlighting and such, so that rules ut vi or gedit.
6 >
7 > Thanks,
8 > Mike
9
10 I used the php-mode for emacs when I co-wrote the Zend Certification
11 Study Guide. Unlike vim, emacs actually parses and understands the code
12 it's editing; this makes the syntax highlighting and indentation support
13 much more flexible and accurate. I'd go as far as saying that the
14 auto-indentation support for php-mode for emacs is by far the best I've
15 worked with to date.
16
17 Today, I use the phpEclipse plugin for Eclipse 3.0. I'm very happy with
18 this. Performance is very good, the object browser works better than
19 php-mode for Emacs did, and it's very useful indeed to be able to search
20 all the files of a project from within the editor. There's also the
21 advantage of being able to use other Eclipse plugins, such as support
22 for subversion. phpEclipse is my main environment, which I use a good
23 8-10 hours in a working day.
24
25 I tried Zend Studio about 18 months ago, but didn't like it. I found
26 the performance was too slow (hate using software that can't keep up
27 with my typing!), auto-indenting was inflexible (and I couldn't convince
28 Zeev why that mattered :(, there was no subversion support, and no
29 anti-aliased font support (tiring on the eyes when your main machine is
30 a laptop). I haven't tried Zend Studio 4, and have no idea whether it
31 has improved in any of these areas or not.
32
33 Can't comment on a good environment for perl. Last time I used perl
34 seriously was in '96. Things have changed a lot since then.
35
36 Hope that helps,
37 Stu
38 --
39 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
40 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
41 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
42
43 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
44 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C