From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost /sbin/rc
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:25:16
1 Mark Kirkwood writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > Of course I did that. emerge --depclean showed me (along many other
5 > > things) two installed baselayouts, one to remove, the current one to
6 > > keep. And most of the things were kept, like man pages, but some
7 > > essential files were not.
8 > >
9 > > Looking at emerge.log, I see that I had the old 1.7.8-r1 in parallel
10 > > for quite a while. For about three weeks, I had masked 1.12.10-r5,
11 > > because I wanted to stay with 1.12.9-r2 until I had physical access
12 > > to the system. I removed the mask, upgraded world, and did the
13 > > depclean then.
14 >
15 > It might be worth trying revdep-rebuild and seeing if it brings any of
16 > the missing stuff back... (assuming you are able to boot the machine
17 > somehow - install cd + chroot etc).
18
19 Um, system is up and running - as I wrote, I had a backup and just copied
20 the missing files back, so the system came up again. I re-emerged
21 baselayout then to make sure all is back in place.
22
23 I just wondered how this could have gone wrong and thought I'd post what
24 happened.
25
26 Wonko
27 --