From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to incorporate "foreign tarball" into world
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 05:59:27
1 I hate when this happens. I know that I read somewhere in the docs
2 that you can take a tarball of an app that doesn't have a Gentoo ebuild
3 and incorporate it into your "world" file, so that it knows at least
4 that the app is installed, and how to remove it. But I can't seem to
5 find that reference now. Am I mis-remembering, or does it really exist?
6
7 The particular item I'm interested in is a perl module called
8 "exiftool" ( http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ ). Since
9 libtiff doesn't read exif data from TIFFs, Gimp (which uses libtiff)
10 can't access or save the exif data to any JPEG versions of the same
11 file. exiftool can read and write a whole bunch of metadata. My use
12 right now is copying exif data from TIFFs to their JPEG descendants.
13
14 One thing I noticed is that when you uncompress the tarball, the
15 commandline utility can be run without installing if you cd to to the
16 directory containing it. To get it to run from anywhere, you need to
17
18 perl Makefile.PL
19 make
20 make test
21 make install
22
23 with the last step requiring root access. I assume this copies libs to
24 some place on the libpath? Would it be possible to just uncompress it
25 to a regular user's directory, and append the path to LIBPATH, or
26 whatever?
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
31 --