From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] Parenthese
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:17:34
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:32 on Friday 20 August 2010, Alex Schuster
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Wow, what's going on here?
5 >
6 > Alan McKinnon writes:
7 > > Like Eskimo's with 20+ words for different kinds of snow.
8 > > Say "snow" to any Eskimo, see what happens :-)
9 >
10 > Actually, they have only two words for snow: qanik for falling snow and
11 > aput for lying snow.
12 >
13 > Wonko
14
15 Yeah, I've heard the argument and counter-arguments too. But I'm not Inuit and
16 don't speak their lingo.
17
18 The principle still stands though. Replace Eskimo and snow with English and
19 the massive litany of words encompassing "love and affection". There's way
20 more than 20 of those.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com