From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>, gentoo Accessibility <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] festival usage (possibly OT)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:26:05
1 William Hubbs ha scritto:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > we have several open bugs on app-accessibility/festival and
5 > app-accessibility/speech-tools. These packages have been around for a
6 > long time, and upstream appears, at least so far, to be dead (my
7 > maintainer says that he has been unable to contact them). These
8 > packages are very difficult to maintain, because of their highly custom
9 > build system.
10 >
11 > In accessibility, as far as I am aware, espeak has become the most used
12 > software speech synthesizer. So, if there are not any objections, I am
13 > considering removing festival from the main gentoo portage tree.
14 >
15 > So, what I'm trying to figure out is how popular festival is and what it
16 > is being used for. If you use festival, can you reply to this thread
17 > and give me an idea of how important this package is to you and how
18 > often you use it, etc?
19
20 I don't know how essential it is, however LMMS (Linux Multimedia
21 Studio), one of the few usable sequencers for Linux, used Festival for
22 its "singerbot" plugin.
23
24 I just googled around and found that the plugin has now temporarily been
25 removed upstream, but maybe it's worth checking if some other audio
26 package is using Festival.
27
28 m.