From: TN <tnuro@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] newbie livecd installation dual boot problems
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:32:57
1 I'm attempting to install Gentoo with the GUI livecd 2006 utility, and
2 I'm installing it on a laptop which was dual booting happily with debian
3 & winxp.
4
5 I wiped the debian installation, and carefully made sure that Gentoo
6 wasn't going to wipe out the winxp partition which is the first. I made
7 /dev/hda2 one partition for gentoo, and it's JFS.
8
9 The installation process finished without errors, but when I reboot the
10 machine I have 2 problems:
11
12 (i) the grub installation doesn't show the winxp entry (easy enough
13 fixed, but still an installation bug)
14
15 (ii) gentoo starts booting, but fails when trying to mount the root device.
16 >> Determining root device...
17 >> Mounting root...
18 mount : Mounting /dev/hda2 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument
19 !! Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
20 !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
23 The grub boot lines are:
24 root (hd0,1)
25 kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0
26 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda2
27 initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5
28
29 This was how the installer set it up, so what needs to change to fix it ?
30
31 thanks!
34 Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list